How to migrate from Virola Messenger 1.x to Virola Messenger 2.x
We are happy to announce that Virola Messenger 2 is already available for beta testing. In this version, a lot of major changes were made to both server and client applications to improve the system architecture and prepare it for future development and growth.
What's new in Virola 2.x?
Most changes were made to the system architecture to make it more flexible and extendable. However, some great new features were implemented in client apps as well:
- Added "Reply to message" feature
- Added mentions and reactions
- Redesigned meeting rooms sidebar - it became more informative and can be used for fully functional video meetings now
Find more about Virola 2.x in our version history.
How to upgrade to Virola 2.x?
To switch to Virola 2.x, you need to upgrade both your server and client applications, as there is no backward compatibility with version 1.x.
- Stop your existing Virola server
- Backup your existing database. It's stored in the file named
- Download Virola Server 2.x and install it
- Run the upgraded server with the same parameters - it will find your existing database and automatically convert to the new format (
- Download and install Virola Client 2.x
- Run the upgraded client - it will connect to the new server using existing login credentials
- Optional. Remove the old database file. But make sure to keep the backup!
- If you experience crashes after running the upgraded client start - use Menu Tools / Reset Local Database to reset the application cache. All your data will be reloaded from the server to the app then, nothing will be lost.
- If after the server and the client upgrade you cannot see your chat history in the client, this means that the server created a new empty database instead of converting the existing one. Double check the storage path specified when running the server - it should lead to the directory where the existing database is stored. Then restart the server.